Fort Ticonderoga is one of the oldest forts made by colonizers in the United States of America. Originally called Fort Carillon the fort was built strategically by the French in 1755 and finished in 1757. It was built in the middle of the French and Indian War. The location on the chute river helped control trade routes during the war as well. Eventually the fort was under British control during the revolutionary war and was taken by militia in the American Revolutionary War on May 10th of 1775. The militia consisted of the Green Mountain Boys led by revolutionary leaders Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold. This siege helped provide cannons to lift British control in Boston. The fort would then switch hands between the British and American fighters until in was eventually abandoned. In 1781 the fort ceased to be of use to the military and was stripped by locals of anything of value.
Its history as a tourist attraction started with William Ferris Pell when he bought the Fort's land in 1820. William and his family slowly restored the fort to it's former glory. In 1909 it finally opened it to the public as a historic site. Today the fort is run by the Fort Ticonderoga Association. As a tradition each year it opens around May 10th, the anniversary of the original revolutionary siege, and closes for the winter typically in mid-October. Guest typically should check their website for the official dates it is open. General admissions are 24 dollars for adults, 12 dollars for children, and 22 dollars for seniors. Guests can also pay for an additional boat tour which is 40 dollars for adults, 25 dollars for children from 5-15, and free for children under 5 years. The historic park includes weeks worth of fun including a museum of 18th century artifacts, a beautifully lush garden, weapon demos, and re-enactments for the whole family to enjoy.